communication, communication skills, self-knowledge, class management, interaction styles, cognitive styles, order and discipline, emotional intelligence
Position of the Course
This course supposes the competences as obtained after having followed the bachelor and master of sciences.
In the theoretical part following topics are considered:
- principles of communication;
- communication skills (vs pupils/students);
- communication skills (vs colleagues/parents);
- correct linguistic usage;
- class management;
- dynamics of interactions;
- self-knowledge and cognitive styles;
- emotional intelligence.
This course supposes the competences as obtained after having followed the bachelor and master of science.
The insight in and application of following basic competences are pursued, as determined by decree:
Teaching and Learning Material
- Determining adequate didactical strategies and grouping approaches
- Developing a powerful learning environment that considers classroom heterogeneity
- Creating a positive classroom and school climate
- Coping with diversity in groups of learners
- Creating a flexible and efficient lesson and day plan, that suits the time management of learners and the teacher
- Fostering the emancipation of learners
- Developing learner attitudes to prepare them for individual development and participation in society.
- Dealing with actual developments in society within a pedagogical context
- Coping in an adequate way with learners with social-emotional and/or problematic behaviour
- Deploying strategies to work with non-Dutch speaking learners
- Becoming acknowledged of the results of educational research, that is relevant for the personal instructional context
- Applying and implementing innovative elements
- Questioning and redirecting one’s own personal professional approach
- Communicating with parents/care takers about their children at school
- Developing strategies to communicate with non-Dutch speaking parents
- having conversations with parents/care takers about school and education
- Collaboration and negotiation within a school team
- Discussing and respecting task division within school teams
- Discussing the pedagogical and didactical role and approach of a team
- Contacting and collaborating – in collaboration with colleagues - with external parties or organisations that present educational initiatives
- The teacher – in collaboration with colleagues – is able to initiate, establish and maintain relationships with particular organisations
Cost: 20.0 EUR
- Boek: Van den Broeck, H. (2006). Opvoeden in de klas. Tielt: Lannoo Scriptum.
- Cools, E. & Van den Broeck, H. (2007). Development and Validation of the Cognitive Style Indicator. In: The Jourmal of Psychology (in press);
- Thill J. V. & Bovée, C. L. (2007). Excellence in Business Communication. Pearson, Prentice Hall, New Jersey;
- Van den Broeck, H. (2006) Opvoeden in de klas. LannooCampus, Tielt;
- Van den Broeck. H., Debussche, F. & Cools, E. (2002). Lessen uit emotionele intelligentie. Lannoo. Tielt;
- Van den Broeck, H. & Debussche, F. (2007) Grootmeester in Teamwerk. Lannoo Campus, Tielt.
- Interactive support using Minerva.
- By appointment.
- plenary lessons;
- exercises in small groups.
A combination of periodical (60%, theoretical part) and non-periodical (40%, practical part).
No second examination chance
The periodical evaluation consists of a written exam (multiple choice).
The non-periodical evaluation encompasses writing a paper.