education in chemistry, education of sciences
Position of the Course
This course supposes the competences as obtained after having followed the master of chemistry.
The objectives of this course are based on following basic competences, as determined by decree:
- the teacher as facilitator of learning and development processes
- the teacher as an organizer
- the teacher as a content expert
- the teacher as an innovator – the teacher as a researcher
- the teacher as a member of the school team
- the teacher as a member of a school community
The contents fit in with the subject related education in the bachelor’s and master’s programmes.
In the theoretical part following topics are considered:
In the practical part following topics are considered:
- the basic competencies and the professional profiles for teachers;
- the working field of the teacher in chemistry;
- subject related and subject specific final objectives for secondary education;
- learning plans form different school networks;
- different teaching methods with focus on demonstration and experiment;
- learning materials and media with focus on the use of them in a laboratory;
- observation skills;
- defining lesson objectives and lesson plans;
- basic skills for the use of chemicals;
- basic skills for the use of subject related software;
- basic skills for the use of the learning platform Dilo (http://www.dilo.be/);
- basic skills for instruction, asking questions, using various methods, working in learning groups, classroom management.
Final competences connected to the course Learning and instruction.
The insight in and application of following basic competences are pursued, as determined by decree:
Teaching and Learning Material
- Being able to determine the starting position of individual and the group of learners;
- Selecting and defining learning objectives;
- Selecting the learning content and learning experiences;
- Structuring learning content and learning experiences and translation into learning activities;
- adequate didactical strategies and grouping approaches;
- selecting and adapting instructional media on an individual base or in a team approach;
- developing a powerful learning environment that consider classroom heterogeneity;
- Preparing the observation/evaluation individually and/or in team;
- The teacher is able to support the instructional and developmental activities in the standard Dutch language;
- Applying the domain specific knowledge and skills;
- becoming acknowledged of the results of educational research, that is relevant for the personal instructional context.
Cost: 15.0 EUR
- Didactical sites: www.edict.be, http://users.skynet.be/eddy, www.fedichem.be etc.
- CD’s: Didac, Chemielexicon, Chemie Interactief 2.0 (derde graad), Elementaire Chemie (tweede graad).
- Other syllabi concerning subject specific teaching methodology (Prof Ostwald Van Cleemput, dr.Tom Walgraeve).
- Books general chemistry and organical chemistry.
- Interactive support using Minerva.
- By appointment.
For the theoretical part interactive lectures and seminars are provided.
For the practical part following teaching methods are used:
Students following an in-service training for teachers (minimum of 250 hours) obtain these competences composing a portfolio (cf manual for further instructions).
A combination of periodical (80%, theoretical part) and non-periodical (20%, practical part).
A second examination chance is provided by means of an individual task.
Deadline for enrolment: 15th of Octobre 2007.
The periodical evaluation consists of a written exam.
Presence during exercises is obliged.
Students following an in-service training for teachers (minimum of 250 hours) obtain these competences composing a portfolio. Specific criteria are explained to the student and are determined by agreement).