- to have an excellent command of the two languages chosen;
- to have excellent language awareness;
- to be duly capable of comparing the two chosen languages and literatures in a probing and creative manner as well as being duly capable of reflecting on the distinctions between them;
- to have an in-depth scientific understanding of the language system and the manifestations of language;
- to have an in-depth scientific understanding of the specific features and characteristics of literary texts and the historical function of literature;
- to be duly capable of implementing, evaluating and further developing various methods of analysis in the study of spoken and written texts in the languages concerned;
- to be duly capable of resolving complex queries of a linguistic and/or literary nature, particular to the language combination chosen, and of presenting one’s own research results to professional peers.
- to have an excellent knowledge of (different variants of) the languages studied and to be duly capable of applying said knowledge in a variety of different operational contexts;
- to be duly capable of contributing to the linguistic debate on language as a communication form and the historical aspects thereof;
- to be duly capable of contributing to the literary debate on the literary traditions of the language regions studied;
- to be duly capable of comprehending and critically evaluating phenomena and processes of a historical, cultural and social-political nature;
- to have a due command of active and critical literary science and language theory methods of analysis methods of analysis and to be duly capable of putting these into practice;
- to have an in-depth knowledge of the history and culture of the language regions studied, as well as being able to apply said;
- to have an in-depth understanding of the linguistic and literary relations between the two languages chosen;
- to be duly capable of critically treating a topic from the study programme by way of a thesis whilst using the relevant scientific sources in doing so.